A federal jury has convicted Steven W. Clyne, 70, of Meridian of dealing firearms without a license and making false statements when purchasing firearms, Acting United States Attorney Rafael Gonzalez announced.

Clyne was indicted by a federal grand jury on May 11 and convicted March 17.

Clyne engaged in the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms for profit from January 2013 through November 12, 2015, according to a press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office. Over that period of time, Clyne reportedly bought hundreds of firearms from licensed dealers and resold them at higher rates. He reportedly sold the firearms at gun shows and in a parking lot without identifying the purchasers or conducting background checks.

Numerous firearms sold by Clyne were recovered at various crime scenes in Idaho, California, and other locations, according to the press release.

Agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) searched Clyne’s house in November 2015 with a federal search warrant. They found approximately 30 guns.

Clyne admitted to agents that he bought firearms, increased the prices and then resold the firearms, according to the press release.

During the investigation, Clyne sold firearms to undercover ATF agents. In one case, Clyne agreed to buy handguns on behalf of the undercover agent but falsely told a licensed firearm dealer he was buying the guns for himself, according to the press release.

“Federal firearms laws are intended to keep firearms out of the wrong hands,” Gonzalez stated. “This case is an example of what happens when someone engages in the business of selling guns for profit and doesn’t abide by the basic requirements of obtaining a license and conducting background checks.”

Clyne’s sentencing is scheduled for June 7 before Chief U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill at the federal courthouse in Boise.

The crimes of dealing firearms without a license and making false statements when purchasing firearms are each punishable by up to five years in prison, a maximum fine of $250,000, and up to three years of supervised release.

The case was investigated by the ATF.


Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.